Here is a mixed salad I love to prepare in Summer, with both sweet and savory flavors. Make it your own, there are many adaptations you can imagine from this simple recipe, according to your taste or ingredients you can find.
The recipe possible adaptations
- Salad: Here arugula or rocket. Switch for baby spinach, lamb’s lettuce, mesclun or any salad of your choice.
- Yellow peaches make a nice contrast of colors and flavors. I also love white nectarines. For the quantities I chose to have ¾ peach per serve as I don’t want this salad to be too sweet.
- Feta cheese is my favorite. Burrata should also be perfect. A friend made my recipe with fresh goat cheese, I have to try it out.
- As for seeds, I’m a big fan of pine nuts, which I picked up when I was a kid under the pines in Cannes, in South-France Provence, at my grandparents’ house. I use to spend hours there crushing with a stone the pine cones and shells surrounding the pine nuts, coming back with black hands (and often dirty clothes!), but a wide smile on my face and a bag filled with my treasure. The possible other seeds to use: cashew nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds… Pine nuts can also be roasted in a pan or in the oven.
- Dressing You’re on a French food blog, so a vinaigrette is what you want for this recipe. I used apple cider vinegar as I think it’s great for this recipe, much better that wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. I used moutarde en grains à l’ancienne as we call it old-fashion grainy mustard. But Dijon mustard is fine too. As for oil, olive oil is my favorite for most vinaigrettes, but rapeseed oil is fine too, or a mix of equal part or olive oil and rapeseed oil.