Those classic ham and grilled cheese toasts are beloved all over the world but in France too! I show you the easy way to prepare them.
This classic sandwich, eaten warm with melting cheese is a great classic of French bistrot or home cooking. I share here the grilled version in the oven, but some fry croque Monsieur in a pan.
To make croque Monsieur like a real French
- sandwich white bread but you can vary with country bread or baguette
- bechamel sauce, a great classic of Frenc chisine that I explain step by step in this article
- grated cheese, may it be Gruyère Emmental or Comté… or any cheese you that will melt well
And have you ever heard of croque Madame ? Madame means miss and is the same with a fried egg on top. In Frenc we say un œuf à cheval, lit. “horse riding egg” !!
French iconic croque Monsieur
- 30 gr butter
- 30 gr flour
- 300 ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 4 slices ham +/- 200 gr
- 125 gr grated cheese Emmental, Comté, Gruyère, Cantal ...
prepare BÉCHAMEL (POSSIBLE IN ADVANCE) SEE STEP BY STEP HERE
- Melt butter, add flour and mix the roux obtained. Pour cold milk little by little, mixing vigorously. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring. Let cool.
PREPARE croques monsieur
- Preheat the oven in the grill position (about190 ° C / 375°F).
- Place 4 bread slices on a oven baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Cover each loaf of bread with béchamel sauce.
- Cover with grated cheese.
- Add a slice of white ham cut into pieces, 1 per croque Monsieur.
- Place the second slice of bread on top.
- Cover again with béchamel.
- Finally add more grated cheese in a generous layer.
- Cook under the grill for ten minutes until croque Monsieur is hot, cheese melt and grilled.
Bon appétit !