Great classic of French cuisine, the celery remoulade is a nice combination of both tender and crispy grated celery root with a soft and light mayonnaise. Why not adding thin slices of crunchy fresh green apple?
Did you know that celery root is an aphrodisiac?
That’s what a proverb of South of France claims: “If womens knew the virtue of celery on mens, they would plant celery from Paris to Rome.” Who knows!
Remoulade sauce is traditionally a mayonnaise made with lots of mustard, often enhanced with garlic, herbs and capers. It is served as a sauce for meats, fishes or seafood.
Celery remoulade is mainly served as a starter, often together with other raw vegerables. The assiète de crudités (dish made of various raw vegerables neatly arranged one next to the other) is a classic of French bistros.
This remoulade sauce is made with a flavorful mayonnaise – with lots of mustard and pepper, and a little of vinegar -, lightened with water to limit the amount of oil. Thin slices of Granny Smith green apple give a twist to this coleslaw style preparation.
Try it then.
Celery Remoulade and Apple Salad
- Mandoline or sharp knife
- 1 medium celery root peeled, cored and julienned
- 1 apple green apple such as granny smith is best, cored and julienned
For the mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature, out of the fridge at least 1 hour in advance
- 2 teaspoon mustard from Dijon
- 150 ml oil
- 50 ml water at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar xeres or cider vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- pepper Freshly grounded, about 2 to 3 pinches
- First prepare the mayonniase. Combine mustard, vinegar, egg yolk and whisk together.
- Add salt and vinegar, whisk. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until combined.
- This is the secret for a succesful mayonnaise : pour oil very slowly in a steady stream and constantly whisk. Then add the same way watter. Set aside.
- Peel and quarter the celery root and julienne it on a mandoline or with a sharp knife.
- Then it’s better to blanch the celery so that water won’t come out off the celery and make your preparation’s aspect less tasty. For blanching (this is optionnabring water to the boil. Put grated celery for 1 minute in boiling water, drain and dry as much as possible with a dishcloth.
- Core and cut the apple (keeping the skiinto quarters and julienne on a mandoline or with a sharp knife.
- Toss the celery and apple with the remoulade sauce as soon as they are grated to prevent browning.