A flan is like a quiche but without pastry on the bottom. Thus just eggs and cream, with chorizo cubes. To grab with a drink at apéro appetizer beloved moment, with friends or family.
Those are one of my kid’s favorites for appetizer. And this recipe of delis and spices flavored bites of flan egg custard does usually seduce everybody.
Actually a flan is very quick and easy to make. Just beaten eggs with cream crème fraîche, or a mix of heavy cream and milk. It can be prepared with all kind of filling. Vegetables (as for my cherry tomatoes and chives flan), leftovers… I told you French home cooking can be simple! I actually often cook in advance vegetables (boiled and drained for example for pumpkin or pan fried for broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini…) or decide to make flan when I have leftovers. Then on my way back from the office, I just combine with the flan batter and put in the oven for half and an hour. With green salad and French dressing vinaigrette, this is one of my week favorite dinner. Almost like quiches except those savory tarts are baked on a pie crust.
To come back to the recipe, I just added in the batter small cubes of chorizo, so flavorful that you don’t need to add anything else. And baked in small molds, here for mini cannelés but do with any individual mold you have on hand and adjust cooking time according to the size.
Chorizo Flan Small Bites
- Small individual molds (here cannelé mold)
- 1/2 chorizo
- 3 eggs
- 30 cl crème fraîche or 20 cl heavy cream and 10 cl milk
- Preheat your oven to 185 C.
- Cut the chorizo into small cubes. Cut in half lengthwise and again in half. Then slice these strips of chorizo into thick slices, you will get more or less cubes.
- Then prepare the flan custard by whipping eggs and then adding cream and combining again.
- Arrange chorizo cubes in each mold (here two cubes per mini cannelé mold). Pour batter over, up to 3/4 of the mold.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the flan batter sets. As soon as you pour out of the oven, flip the mold oven towel in order to remove the excess fat due to chorizo.
Bon appétit !