What’s great with flans, clafoutis and even tarts is that, from a simple base – just mixing eggs with milk or cream – you can do all kind of delicious savory dishes.
In this recipe, I used generous bright red cherry tomatoes and chopped fresh chives.
You can accommodate this flan recipe with any vegetable of your choice, the products you have at home or that you find at the market (leeks and caramelized onions, pumpkin and spices…).
However, there are two main rules you should follow:
- You have to pre-bake and drain the vegetables which loses a lot of juice or vegetation water while cooking (tomatoes or zucchini for example) because otherwise they will completely soak your flan and it won’t bake properly.
- You must respect a cooking temperature between 170 and 185°C otherwise egg proteines won’t coagulates properly and once more the flan won’t get the right consistency. You might even get a preparation with for example some liquid at the bottom of your dish. This reason is that egg white and egg yolks mixture coagulates at 165 ° C. Therefore the target temperature is just a little bit over: 170 to 185 °C, not less and not beyond. I always bake flans, clafoutis, quiches and tarts at 18O°C.
Cherry Tomatoes and Chives Flan
- 400 gr cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Roast cherry tomatoes
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 °Wash and dry cherry tomatoes. Put them in a shallow gratin dish. They must cover the entire bottom of your dish. They can even be a bit packed. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil and mix so that tomatoes are coated with olive oil on all sides.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The tomatoes will start to cook, crack and lose some of their vegetation water. Their aspect becomes somewhat withered.
- Meanwhile make your flan preparation. Beat 2 eggs as for an omelet. Add milk and mix. Wash and dry chives. Cut chives into small parts of ½ to 1 centimeter. Add chives to the preparation and mix.
- Remove from the oven the cherry tomatoes. Lower the oven heat to 180 °Remove the juice (you can keep it, you‘ll see below how to use it).
- Pour the flan preparation over the tomatoes and bake for 20 minutes at 180 °C.