An easy, quick to prepare and healthy mixed salad, often prepared by French families.
Although it can be served as a starter as well, this dish is indeed almost a full course, with:
- Endives for vegetables
- Cheese (here Comté but it can be replaced by blue cheese) for proteins
- Apple slices for lightness and a little twist
- Walnuts for health-benefit nutriments, Omega 3 and vitamin E.
I’m using below the recipe to give you the perfect proportions of French salad dressing. Its rule is mainly to have 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 oil, whatever vinegar or oil you may choose.
Taste it. It’s actually a dish usually made for everyday meals, even though it’s always appreciated as a starter at dinner with friends. I like to make it my evening meal during busy working weeks.
French Mixed Endive Salad with Apple, Cheese and Walnuts
- 4 endives
- 2 apples
- 110 gr Comté cheese
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon vinegar wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- Wash and cut endives in slices. Peel and cut apples in cubes. Cube cheese.
- Make dressing by pouring first vinegar and adding pepper. Pepper dissolves better in vinegar alone. Add mustard and salt, stir. Finally pour in olive oil while stirring.
- Assemble by putting all ingredients in a bowl. Mix with dressing only before serving.
Bon appétit !