This is the perfect recipe for light waffles both fluffy inside and and crisp outside. For kids breakfast or snacks … but not only!
In France we have mainly two ways of preparing waffles. The most classic one is a mix of flour, sugar, butter, milk, whole eggs with baking powder. It needs to rest for at least one hour. The second version is with whisked egg whites (with egg yolks in the batter or without egg yolks like here for an even lighter preparation). It’s a bit longer to prepare but in my opinion waffles are much lighter this way.
My tips for perfect waffles
- Heating milk you avoid the resting time, thus can cook waffles immediately (and it’s also a good way to melt butter by adding it to the hot milk).
- To avoid any lumps, pour the liquid on the flour and whisk (if you pour the dry ingredients on the liquid, it will be garder to whisk until you get a smooth texture withour any lump).
- And do you know what to do with the remaining egg yolks? Cannelés of course. But also a crème anglaise egg custard (with saffron for example), sablés Bretons or a mayonnaise.
- If you don’t have a waffle maker, as the gaufre batter is thisker than a crèpe batter, you car cook it in a skillet, just as you would do for pancakes.
- You can propose many kind of topping: jam, nutela, melted chocolate anc rème chantilly whipped cream are French classics. The one my kids prefer is simply icing sucar sprinkled.
Gaufres French Waffles
This is the perfect recipe for light waffles both fluffy inside and and crisp outside. For kids breakfast or snacks … but not only! Heat milk with butter, salt and sugar. Pour on the flour and combine. Add whipped egg whites and cook.
- 90 gr butter cubed
- 150 ml milk
- 30 gr sugar
- 100 gr flour
- 3 egg whites whipped
- 1 pinch salt
- Start by heating on a low heat the milk with sugar, a pinch of salt and the cubbed butter.
- Put the flour in a bowl (or in the bowl of your food processor). Pour the milk-salt-sugar-butter hot mixture and combine until smooth.
- Whip egg whites and gently add this to the preparation.
- Then cook in your waffle maker previously lightly greased with paper towel covered with oil, a few minutes on each side.
You liked this recipe?Subscribe to my mailing list for more French recipes and exclusive content
Bon appétit !
Leave a reply