When green beans are fresh and tasty, why not proposing a simple mixed salad, with a little twist in the dressing? I propose to include hard-boiled eggs.
Just cook green beans in boiling water (what we call “the English way” in France) or steamed (which preserves vitamin C). Don’t cook them too long, so that they will stay firm. To preserve a beautiful green color (and stop the cooking process), it is recommended to immerge cooked green beans in a large bowl full of ice water. As we will eat them cold in this recipe, it’s perfect, that way they will cool down.
I suggest here a French dressing (that in French we call vinaigrette) made of :
- The classic French vinaigrette salad dressing is made of a bit of mustard and 1 spoon of vinegar for 2 spoons of oil. Whatever mustard, oil or vinegar you may use, the French dressing rule in quantities is always the same : 1 vinegar for 2 oil. My mum always told me that the order should be first vinegarwith pepper, salt and mustard then oil (pepper dissolving better in vinegar than oil).
You can opt for any kind of vinegar, oil (even combine 2 different oils) and mustard you like or have. For instance Xérès, cider or balsamic vinegar; olive, walnut or hazelnut oil, I often make half olive oil / half rapeseed oil …. Same for mustard, it can be classic Dijon mustard or for example tarragon or even honey mustard. Up to you. In France we like to try different associations and often change the dressing taste.
- Hard-boiled eggs are crumbled (or crushed, I don’t really know how it’s better to say in English, sorry. But you have a picture below) and added to the dressing. Increase the quantify of eggs (up to 1 per person) if you intend to serve this salad as a light single lunch dish.
- And according to your taste, add any spice of minced fresh herb you may wish.
Did you know that green beans are the number 4 beloved vegetable of the Frenchs ? Right after carrots, tomatoes and potatoes.
Green Beans Mixed Salad, French Dressing with Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 500 gr green beans
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 15 walnuts
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Prepare and cook green beans
- Start by washing and cutting off the edges of the green beans. Cook them in salted boiling water (or steam).
- Cool down green beans in a large bowl full of ice water.
- Hard boil eggs by cooking them in boiling water for 9 minutes. As soon as they aye well cooked, place them under cold water then peel them.
Prepare the salad
- Prepare vinaigrette dressing by first whisking vinegar with mustard, salt and pepper. Then add oil and stir the vinaigrette until it’s combined well.
- Crush the hard-boiled eggs with the back of a fork, mix well egg yolk and egg whites small crumbs. Incorporate into the vinaigrette.
- Serve at your convenience already mixed or vinaigrette dressing apart. Add walnuts.