For those looking for a gluten-free gourmet recipe, or for hazelnut … and chocolate lovers. Be careful, it’s addictive!
The French are quite mad about hazelnuts. We grab some toasted and salted at apéro appetizer pre-dinner drink, make hazelnut crumbs for all kind of savory preparations (meat or fish but also vegetables crumbles…). Hazelnut oil is quite nice for mixed salads. Hazelnut powder is great for people looking for gluten-free recipes (breads, cakes…). And when it comes to pastry, we have all kind of cakes using hazelnut grounded into powder instead or mixed with flour in cakes or tart dough, for praline instead of pistachio, homemade nutella, shredded for decoration…
This recipe is pure delight. Very quick and easy, it really tastes hazelnut. Eaten still warm, chocolate is slightly melting. Soooo good! I added chocolate chips (but also possible with roughly chopped chocolate) as it’s done for cookies or for instance in my banana bread (chocolate and banana cake) and the yoghurt cake of my childhood, with pears and chocolatemy childhood, with pears and chocolate.
I based this recipe on the average amount of French ground hazelnut packs that is 125gr which makes about 8 little cakes of the size of cupcakes. So don’t hesitate to double the proportions.
Hazelnut and Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free)
- 125 gr hazelnut powder
- 3 eggs
- 80 gr sugar
- 60 gr butter
- 50 gr chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 185 °C (350°F).
- Separate egg-whites and egg yolks. Whip egg-whites.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and egg yolks until it whitens a bit and get a smooth texture. Add hazelnut powder and mix.
- Melt butter in a bain-marie or in the microwave. add it to the batter and mix.
- Then gently and little by little incorporate whipped egg-whites in the batter. Finally, add chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 30 minutes Baking time depends on the size of your moulds, here a only 20 minutes were necessary. Check by inserting a knife blade, stop baking as soon as it comes out dry.
Voilà! Bon appétit…