A very tasty spread, full of omega-3, easy to prepare, to serve on bread toasts or as a dip with raw vegetables. Add your own twist by adding the spices of your choice.
A few information on the recipe:
- For mackerel you can choose fish in different preparations, which will of course have an incidence on the difficulty and the preparation time.
1. Use whole fish: cook them and remove flesh but then I recommend to peel the skin and discard bones when fish is still hot, it’s much easier.
2. Ask the fishmonger for filet, this is the easiest I believe.
3. Use smocked mackerel or already cooked mackerel fillets, depending on what you can find in your country.
- Cream cheese may be replaced by any other fresh cheese, yoghourt, or vegetal yoghourt (not too liquid though). You can also do half cream cheese and half yoghourt (it’s lighter).
- Add ingredients little by little to the fish so that you can adjust consistency (more or less creamy with more or less cream cheese) and taste according to your taste (more citrus, more spices…)
- Serve as a spread on toasted bread or with a bunch of crunchy raw vegetables (such as carrot, cucumber, fennel, mushroom…) for dipping.
Mackerel and Cream Cheese Spread
A very tasty spread, full of omega-3, easy to prepare, to serve on bread toasts or as a dip with raw vegetables. Add your own twist by adding the spices of your choice. Cook fish. Gradually combine flesh with the other ingredients.
- 2 mackerels (about 750 gr each which makes about 220 gr of flesor 4 mackerel fillets)
- 100 to 150 gr cream cheese Philadelphia for example or French Saint Môret
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 shallot or spring onion
- ½ bunch chive
- salt and pepper
- spices of your choice curry, turmeric, paprika …
Start by cooking mackerel
- Several options as previously written: either cook fillet or whole fish in the oven (ideally wrapped in aluminium foil with a dash of olive oil and lemoor use a steamer, my preference.
- The cooking time is quick: 5 to 10 min for fillets, 10 to 15 min for whole fishes (time depends of course on the size).
- When still hot, discard bones and skin to keep the flesh. Then let the mackerel cool down.
Make the spread
- Finely chop spring onion (or shalloand chives.
- In a food processor (or in a bowl with a formix mackerel flesh, cream cheese and spices. Gradually to get the consistency and flavors you prefer. Add the lemon juice and a dash of olive oil to give roundness to your preparation.
- Then add chopped onion and chives. Taste and adjust seasoning: add salt, pepper, eventually more spices or lemon juice.
Ideally buy mackerel filets, it will be quicker to prepare. Cooking Time : depending of the kind of fish you choose/ Resting time: Fish to cool down If needed, please refer to the conversions and measures article here
You liked this recipe?Subscribe to my mailing list for more French recipes and exclusive content
Bon appétit !