A few information on the recipe:
- For mackerel you can choose fish in different preparations, which will of course have an incidence on the difficulty and the preparation time.
1. Use whole fish: cook them and remove flesh but then I recommend to peel the skin and discard bones when fish is still hot, it’s much easier.
2. Ask the fishmonger for filet, this is the easiest I believe.
3. Use smocked mackerel or already cooked mackerel fillets, depending on what you can find in your country.
- Cream cheese may be replaced by any other fresh cheese, yoghourt, or vegetal yoghourt (not too liquid though). You can also do half cream cheese and half yoghourt (it’s lighter).
- Add ingredients little by little to the fish so that you can adjust consistency (more or less creamy with more or less cream cheese) and taste according to your taste (more citrus, more spices…)
- Serve as a spread on toasted bread or with a bunch of crunchy raw vegetables (such as carrot, cucumber, fennel, mushroom…) for dipping.
Mackerel and Cream Cheese Spread
A very tasty spread, full of omega-3, easy to prepare, to serve on bread toasts or as a dip with raw vegetables. Add your own twist by adding the spices of your choice. Cook fish. Gradually combine flesh with the other ingredients.
Portions: 1 Bowl about 6 to 8 serving
Start by cooking mackerel