The ultimate French kids yogurt cake recipe, quick & easy, a homecooking staple for afternoon snacks. I use to add pears & chocolate.
This is a cake that the French kids make all the time. Tasted 100s of times this is the ultimate French yogurt cake recipe, quick & easy. My trick: I use to add pears and dark chocolate.
When I was in elementary school I use to bake this cake all the time. I was given the classic yogurt cake recipe by my teacher. I immediatly thought this cake would be very tasty with pears and chocolate chips inside! 8-9 years old and I was already adapting recipes! Some prefer lemon zests and/or juice or vanilla abstract. I prefer this.
Moist and fluffy. A delight, but I am not objective at all! Childhood cakes always seems tasty don’t you think so ? What was the cake you use to bake all the time or that you use to prepare with your mum or grand mother ?
We made a booklet of all the elementary classmates recipes but unfortunately I can’t find it any more! To bad! I love old family cookbooks or notes. Here is what I got from my great grand-mother.
The French prefer the metric measures and are often lost when they see recipes with cups. All the more when it comes to pastry where they like to be VERY precise. This recipe uses the yogurt pot as a cup to measure. You use 1 pot of yogurt. As ti’s empty, all you have to do is use it to measure sugar, flour and oil. Very useful. And the good news is that 1 French yogurt pot is as big as ½ cup / 125 ml.
And for a gluten-free version, replace the 3 yogurt pots (thus 1cup ½) of flour by 2 pots (thus 1 cup) of corn flour.
My Childhood's Yogurt Cake with Pears and Chocolate
- 1 plain sugar-free yogurt such as greek yogurt,125 ml ½ cup
- 2 yogurt pots sugar thus 1 cup
- 3 yogurt pots all-purpose flour thus 1 cup ½ or 2 pots / 1 cup corn flour
- ½ yogurt pots oil thus ¼ cup
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 pack of 11 gr
- 1 can pears in syrup 850 ml or about 450 grams of drained fruit
- 100 gr dark chocolate
- butter and flour for the mold
- Preheat the oven to 185 °C (350°F).
- Start by pouring yogurt into a bowl. You can rinse and dry the yogurt pot that will serve as measuring cup if you want but this is not necessary.
- Measure 2 yogurt pots of sugar and ½ yogurt pot of oil, add to the yoghurt and combine. Add the eggs and mix. Then add 3 yogurt pots of flour, a pinch of salt and baking powder. Combine until you get a smooth preparation.
- Drain pears and make chocolate chips (not too small otherwize chocolate will melt while baking and it’s nice to have chocolate chips as in cookies, I mean parts with chocolate and parts without).
- Butter and flour the baking pan. Pour in the patter. Arrange pears in the batter by soaking them a bit. Sprinkle over chocolate chips. See pics.
- Bake at 185°C (350°F) for 30-40 minutes. Check if it’s well cooked with a knife, it should come out dry.
Bon appétit !
Leave a reply