The French just love whole baked apples. So quick and easy to prepare, the perfect rustic homecooking recipe.
Here is how to perfectly bake whole apples pommes au four as we do in France
- Which apple? Choose the right apple variety. Baked apple should stay intact and maintain their shape when baked but be soft enough to eat with a spoon. Gala and Fuji apples for example. Quantity is 1 apple per person
- How to prepare apple? I choose not to peel them, thus apples need to be organic. Hollow out apples, remove the core and seeds while keeping the bottom of the apple intact.
- How to flavor baked apples? Customize possibilities are extremely wide. Fill each apple with something sweet ( about 1 tea spoon of sweetener per apple either a liquid or granulated sweetener, for example brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple sugar, maple syrup, or honey), some spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, cardamom, ginger…), and some butter. You may give a twist with nuts and grains. Some jus pour a tea spoon of jam in each apple.
- A slice of brtead? Some place a slice of country bread undear each apple. Up to you.
- Bake in the oben Bake in the oven with a bit of water in the dish at medium temperature. It’s better to have a longer time with lower heat.
The recipe here is quite simple, no butter but a small teaspoon of brown sugar in each apple and water in which saffron have infused. 1 pistil (thus 3 stigmas / filaments per apple). That’s all.