Some tips for preserving, preparing and cooking asparagus
- First how to store asparagus: you can keep asparagus for 3 to 4 days in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator, ideally wrapped in a damp cloth.
- How to prepare asparagus: Start by briefly rinsing and drying asparagus. Then peel them. White asparagus should be peeled 2 to 4 cm from the tip. The end can be broken with your hands or with a knife.
- How to cook asparagus:
- Boiled in water: heat a large quantity of salted water, immerse asparagus and cook for 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness. Drain or remove from water with a skimmer and dry asparagus with paper towels. Serve them right away. To keep them very tender, my mother wrapped them in a clean cloth that she placed in the serving dish in the center of the table.
- Steamed: kind of water-like process, steam, drain and serve.
- Roasted: pan-fried is the cooking method chosen here, less common but very tasty. A mix of oil and butter is used, asparagus are pan-fried over low heat. In the middle of the cooking process, a bit of water is added, and pan is covered for even more tender asparagus.
The asparagus used here comes from Blayais, in the heart of the Gironde estuary just next to Bordeaux wines. They are very delicate and tender.