Those pasta are served with flavorful creamy mushrooms. Girolles (that may be replaced by other mushrooms) are first sautéed with shallots and bacon, then a touch of cream is added.
Those mushrooms are called girolles but this recipe can actually be prepared with almost all kind of mushrooms. From the classic champignons de paris (button mushrooms to ceps or any mushroom you can find in your country).
To serve as a side dish, pasta and mushrooms together or separately, or as a complete light dish for a quick but tasty dinner, with a green salad for example.
Have fun playing pasta shapes, choose pasta a little complex shape so that they won’t flatten mushrooms in the dish. Here Italian Mafaldines.
For the toppings, choose according to your tastes or the products you have on hands: finely chopped parsley, grated parmesan cheese, roasted hazelnuts (a few minutes in the oven or in the pan)…
As for cream / crème fraîche, I choose to pour just a bit but not too much in order to give a smooth texture but you can opt for much more, you’ll then have a very creamy sauce, just as people from Brittany love.
From this basic mushroom preparation, you can imagine many other dishes, such as: a mushroom omelet by simply pouring beaten eggs over mushrooms, or serve with potatoes or chicken rather than pasta..
Pasta with Girolle Mushrooms and Bacon
- 300 gr pasta
- 600 gr mushrooms here girolles
- 150 gr bacon
- 3 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 knob butter
- parmesan cheese grated
- parsley chopped
- hazelnuts roasted
- Start by cooking pasta, cooking time depends on what is written on the pack. Drain pasta and add a knob of butter.
Cook bacon and mushrooms
- Then prepare all the ingredients. Mince shallots and garlic. Ideally just grate if too dirty briefly rinse mushrooms and cut off the toes. Cut the biggest mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Fry shallots and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add bacon, fry for 5 more minutes.
- Finally add mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes. If mushrooms give a lot of juice, remove them with a skimmer, cover them with aluminum foil and reduce the juice to ¾ of the quantity. We need to keep a bit of liquid to flavor cream. Then put the mushrooms back into the pan.
- Finally add the cream, one tablespoon per person or more if you prefer a very creamy dish, and mix.
- Serve mushrooms and pasta separately or combined together in the serving dish or individual plates.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese, minced parsley, roasted hazelnuts...
Bon appétit !