As I told you, it’s quick and easy : 2 ready-made puff pastries, pesto rosso and a little bit of black olive paste we love in France which is called tapenade (or any basil pesto or vegetable paste ot thick sauce you like, don’t hesitate to change ingredients) and a little “tour de main” as we say in French, a technique to twist that I explain and show step by step in photos.
I choose puff pastry because it gives volume and a lighter aerated texture but it can be prepare with pizza dough or any pastry although the tart will be heavier.
Here I choose a mix of red pesto and black olive tapenade paste (see the recipe here), about 3/4 -1/4, but you can opt for other ingredients as long as you find pastes or sauces that are not too liquid : bell pepper or other Mediterranean vegetables, mixed sun-dried tomato… or the classic basil pesto. I like to mix two flavors but it’s up to you.
Here is how to make tarte soleil sun tarts :
- Place a sheet of puff pastry on the baking tray of your oven (leaving underneath the parchment paper)
- Garnish leaving 1/2 cm on the outer edges without any filling
- Wet with a little bit of water this half centimeter, this will help the two pastries to stick together
- Cover with the second puff pastry sheet and press the edges to seal the two pastries
- Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (optional but this helps because if pastries are warm, you will have trouble to twist)
- Mark a central circle with the top of a glass
- From this central circle formed by the imprint of the glass, cut off the rays using a sharp knife.
I propose to cut the tart first into 4 quarters. Then do 3 equal parts in each quarter by cutting twice in each quarter. Finally, cut each ray in two (but this time not up to the central circle because otherwise the hook of each ray will not be wide enough and it might come off).Thus a total of 4 X 3 X 2 = 24 rays which makes 24 shares.
- Finally, flip each ray 3 times. Take in each hand one rays (side by side with the incision that don’t go all the way up to the center) and flip them from the outside to the inside. 3 times (or 4 if you prefer but I think 3 is enough).
- Brush with a beaten egg and bake.
Am I clear enough?
Pesto Rosso and Tapenade Tarte Soleil (Puff Pastry Sun Tart)
This tart is an impressive treat for simple moments or great occasions. A complex appearance and very nice presentation but actually it’s very easy to make. T Garnish between the two sheets of puff pastry. Cut rays and flip. Brush with beaten egg and bake.