This is one of the most traditional French side for any kind of meal, from daily simple lunch to fancy dinner. Recipe explained step by stem in photo.
Whether you follow the ultiamate French gratin dauphinois traditionnal recipe or not, a potato gratin is always a good choice. Here is an easy to make recipe explained step by step with photos.
There are many different recipes: with or without cheese, with or without eggs, with cream or only milk, dish rubbed with fresh garlic or not, potatoes pre-cooked in milk or all ingredients baked togethet in the oven…
It’s getting difficult to choose the right recipe. How about starting by the easiest one.
French Classic Potato Gratin
- 1 kg potato yellow-fleshed : Charlotte or Belle de Fontenay, thinely sliced
- 750 ml whole milk
- 200 gr heavy cream
- 150 gr cheese gruyère or emmental 150 gr or more according to your taste, grated
- 50 gr butter
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pe-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Wash, peel and thinely slice the potatoes.
- Optionnal: peel the garlic clove, cut a small part of it and rub the dish with the cut side.
- With a knob of butter, carefully grease the pan, without missing any spots. Now you can fill in the pan.
- Put half of the potatoes, then cover with 1/3 of the grated cheese. Sprinkle salt.
- Add the remaining potatoes. Pack a bit with your hands. Once more sprinkle salt.
- In a bowl, pour heavy cream and milk. Stir. Sprinkle nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Pour over the potatoes and cover with the remaining cheese. It should almost cover the potatoes.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 1 to 1 hour 30 minutes. Bake until potatoes are fork tender.
Bon appétit !
Leave a reply