Typical French fruit tart with crisp shortbread crust and smooth tasty custard, here rhubarb with blackberry but can be adapted with apple, redcurrant, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry…
This recipe is for rhubart or fruit tart lovers. But to be honest, it was difficult for me to choose which fruit combo to share with you as I like this kind of tart so much that I vary fillings all the time.
So here is the different fruit adaptations you can do for this recipe :
- Just rhubarb if you have lots. Then add a bit more sugar as rhubarb is not very sweet.
- A mix of rhubarb and apple, both diced. That’s great and you can then add some spices such as saffron or cinammon (in the custard, let it rest for a moment before pouring over fruits)
- Any kind of red fruit or berries are fabulous whit rhubarb. Her blackberry but you can replace by redcurrant, blueberru, strawberry, raspberry…
In june, as I have redcurrant and blackcurrant in the garden, I often make rhubarb, appple, redcurrant and blackcurrant tart. You see that the combinations are endless…
Now to come back to the recipe, you can use ready-made pie crust or make the dough yourself, then see the instruction of the French shortbread pie pastry here (the preparation time will then be longer).
ITo get a smooth filling, I like to add a light custard made with eggs and a little bit of milk and sugar (not too much as we don’t want it to be too sweet, just enhance the fruit flavors).
Rhubarb and Blackcurrant Tart
- 1 shortbread dough For homemade, see sweet shortbread pastry crust recipe here
- 600 gr rhubarb
- 250 gr blackcurrant
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 100 ml milk or plant basred milk
- If you want to make homemade dough, see the shortbread pastry crust recipe here.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Roll out the pie dough in your pie pan or in a pastry circle with baking paper underneath.
- Dice rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2 cm,1/2-inch pieces). Rinse blackcurrant. Arrange the fruit on the dough.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, add sugar and mix, then milk and whisk again. Pour this preparation over fruits.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C/350°F for about 40 minutes.
Bon appétit !