French iconic cherry clafoutis can also be baked with other fruits. Here rhubard and red fruit (strawberry or raspberry)
I’m a big fan of rhubarb. Arn’t you? A sour and bitter taste. that goes well to balance desserts sweetness. You’ll find other recipes with rhubbarb on this French food blog : rhubarb tart or rhubarb muffins (both associated with berries), and a gorgours strawberry and rhubarb tart on French sablé Breton bhortbread (typical pastry from Britany).
The trick of this recipe to get a very tender rhubarb is to macerate it in sugar for about 1 hour and then drain it before combining with the red fruits in the clafoutis batter. As we are already having sugar here with the fruits, I used my classic clafoutis recipe (see the cherry clafoutis) and reduced the amount of sugar.
This recipe can be made with any type of red fruit: raspberry, strawberry, or mix of red fruits. If you use frozen fruit, make sure to drain them well.
Rhubarb and Red Fruits Clafoutis
- 350 gr rhubarb
- 200 red fruit raspberries or strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 60 gr sugar
- 80 gr flour
- 250 ml milk or plant based milk
- 40 gr butter melted+ butter to grease the mold
- 1 pinch salt
- Start by cutting rhubarb stems into 1 to 2 cm sections. If rhubarb is a bit firm, peel of the outer thin skin very thin. In a bowl, put rhubarb and sugar, combine and leave to macerate for at least an hour.
Prepare the clafoutis batter
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Melt butter un a double boiler or in the microwave.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, and add the sugar, continue beating.
- Then add flour and a pinch of salt, combine.
- Finally add milk and the melted butter. Mix until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Drain rhubarb. Rinse red fruits and remove stems (cut strawberies in half if they are big, or leave the raspberries whole).
- Grease the baking dish with butter.
- Pour fruits in the dish and cover with clafoutis batter.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C/350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness.