The French just love the combination of blue cheese and pears. Intensity and sweetness at the same time. Here with some nuts and a bit of honey. It’s delicious crispy, served warm with a green salad.
A few advices for this recipe :
- Choose ripe pears, but not too much (as they will cook, we still need to feel pear consistency and don’t want too much juice to appear while cooking). The variety doesn’t matter. I tend to like Comice pears.
- I think it’s better with a creamy blue cheese, thus not too strong, such as the French Bresse bleu or Fourme d’Ambert. However you can make this recipe with Roquefort, the French indeed often choose this cheese. Even if it’s not my favorite, pears are great in combination as they balance the strong cheese flavor. If you don’t find French blue cheese, you can for instance choose Stilton.
- There are some nuts for a crunchy texture. Here walnuts but you can adapt if you prefer other nuts. The French often associate walnuts with cheese, in mixed salad for example (as here in my recipe of Mixed Endive Salad with Apple, Cheese and WalnutsMixed Endive Salad with Apple, Cheese and Walnuts).
- And finally dizzle with a bit of honey, it works well!
- Use filo pastry or brick sheets.
I measured the quantities of the different ingredients for each Samosa to give you an indication : ½ leaf brick, 7 g blue cheese and 14 gr pears (both cut into strips it seemed to me more practical this way but do as you want), 1 walnut kernel (1/2 nut) and honey.
In this recipe I suggest to serve 4 samosa per person (although there are only 3 in the picture!) and show you the folding part in photos so that you can easily make them.
How to fill and fold brick / filo pastry leaves into samosa
– Cut the brick/filo pastry sheet in half
– Fold the round part to get a long strip
– Put the filling in a corner
– Fold over the filling to form a triangle
– Fold this triangle over the strip
– And continue, folding the same way again and again
– At the end several options
Either try to stuck the remaining brick part into the samosa
Or glue with a beaten egg yolk
Samosa French Style with Pears and Blue Cheese
- 8 sheets brick
- 1 to 2 pear according to their size (225 gr peeled
- 115 gr Blue Cheese
- 12 walnuts (8 for the bricks 4 for the sala= 24 walnut kernels°
- egg yolk
- lettuce or any green salad with dressing
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 °C.
- Prepare all ingredients. Peel pears and remove seeds. Cut into small pieces. Cut the blue cheese into small pieces as well. Roughly crush walnuts.
- Prepare samosas using the folding method and explanations above. Fill each time with pear, blue cheese, walnut and dizzle with honey. Then fold.
Bake in the oven
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray and put samosas in. Cook in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the size). Here 5-6 mn were enough.
- Tips: We just want that the inside ingredients get warm, that blue cheese soften a bit, and that samosas get crispy with a nice brown color.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad and salad dressing.
- Serve warm with salad.
Bon appétit !