Scallops briefly fried with a delicious creamy citrus sauce and to give a little twist, homemade chorizo breadcrumbs. The proof that an incredible dish can be very easy to make.
This recipe is interesting because first you prepare the sauce, then you fry scallops and add the to the sauce before serving.
In many recipes, we are asked to deglaze the pan in which scallops have cooked to make the sauce which makes Saint Jacques either cold or overcooked. And on top of that the cook spend too much time in the kitchen at the beginning of the meal which is a pity when you have guests. Which is not the case here. You can even prepare the sauce in advance and heat it while you fry scallops just before eating.
Note also that scallops are often overcooked. A few minutes on each side are enough.
I fell in love with my friend Pascale’s chorizo breadcrumbs (from the French blog C’est moi qui l’ai fait). See the article with recipe here. It really is interesting here without getting over orange and scallop flavours but the recipe can of course be done just with the orange sauce.
Scallops with Orange Sauce and Chorizo Breadcrumbs
- 3 kg scallops if bought in shell 16 to 20 scallops depending on their size
- 1 shallot
- 20 cl cream
- 1 orange for 1/2 zest and 5 cl of juice
- 10 cl dry white wine
- 10 cl chicken broth
- 25 gr chorizo not too spicy
- 38 gr country bread
Start with the preparations which can be done in advance. First Chorizo breadcrumbs
- See full details here: slice chorizo and heat in the oven under the grill for a few minutes. Let it cool down on paper towel to remove any excess of fat. Mix with bread.
Make the sauce
- Finely mince shallot. Put it in a saucepan with white wine to reduce. When reduced, add chicken broth and let it reduce again.
- Then gradually add the cream, the orange juice while combining. Add ground pepper and finely grated orange zests.
- Taste and adjust seasoning according to your taste.
- When it’s time to eat, heat butter and/or oil in a skillet. When hot, briefly fry scallops, depending on their size, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Dress by pouring the warm sauce in individual plates. Put scallops on top and sprinkle with chorizo breadcrumbs. Propose the remaining sauce if guests wants more.