Savory loaf called cake salé are classic homecooking treats in France, flovored with all kind of ingredients. We love it with tuna.
I always have tuna cans in my panty. You newer know, if I don’t have many groceries left, or if I’m lazy or don’t have enough time to cook, I can always make something with tuna. Either serve it as it is, jus drained with raw vegetables for a mixed salad. Combine it with cream cheese to make a dip.
Or prepare a cake salé as we all it in France. Cake in French don’t mean sweet cake as in English but loaf, the rectangular shape of the mold you use. So we do savory (salé) loafs = cake salé or sweet loafs.
And as for quiches / savory tarts and flan, with one basic recipe you can add inn ant ingredient you like or have on hands. There are already 2 other recipes on the blog in the starters section : Roasted Bell Pepper Savory Loaf and Zucchini, Basil and Feta Savory Loaf. This recipe is made mith tuna of course, with sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. You can add olives as well.
Tuna savory loaf with Sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 large can tuna 400 gr (280 gr drained)
- 200 gr flour
- 1 pack baking powder 11 gr
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100 ml milk or vegetal milk
- 125 gr feta
- 75 gr sundried tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / 350°F
- In a bowl, whisk eggs as you would do for an omelet.
- Add flour and baking powder and combine.
- Then olive oil and milk, combine again until you get a smooth batter.
- Drain tuna, rourghly crumble it and add it to the preparation. Combine.
- Drain sun-dried tomatoes and cut them into pieces. Add them to the preparation with feta cubes.
- Grease a loaf tin with oil or butter, sprinkle a bit of flour (or use a silicone mold, no need to grease).
- Pour the batter and cook for about 45 minutes at 180 °C / 350°F. When the tip of a knife comes out dry, the loaf is baked.
Bon appétit !