Puff pastry covered with tomato sauce and red, yellow and green bell peppers. Vegetables are roasted with onion and garlic in olive oil and herbes de Provence. All the flavors of South France Provence in an easy and tasty tart.
My mum use to make this tart all the time when I was young. Either with three colors of bell pepper like this or with the three main Provençal vegetables: eggplant, zucchini and red bell pepper.
It’s actually a bit like a vegetarian pizza but with lots of vegetables, and neatly arranged. Here it’s made with a rectangular pastry that enable you to serve nice pieces of tart with the same amount of each pepper.
You may also choose a round dough then you might have to reduce the quantities of the color you will place in the center.
Bell Pepper Provencal Vegetarian Tart
- 1 puff pastry ideally rectangular (or round)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3 medium-size onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 gr tomato coulis choose a sauce not too liquid
- Herbes de Provence or thyme, rosemary…
- Cut peppers into strips, reserving them in 3 different containers, one per color.
- Then use 3 different frying pans or fry in 3 successive steps. For each color of bell pepper, sauté 1/3 onion and garlic in 1/3 of olive oil in a frying pan. Add salt and pepper. Stir. Add bell pepper and herbes de Provence, stir and fry for about 15 min over medium heat until soften.
- Reserve in three different plates covered with paper towels to remove any excess olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Roll out the puff pastry on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Spread the tomato coulis over the entire surface of puff pastry, just like for a pizza.
- Garnish with the three peppers making lengthwise strips (or if you have round dough in concentric rounds).
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes in the oven.