The French, especially from Brittany, LOVE salted butter caramel. Mixed with chocolate, it does give a great hint to a basic chocolate cake.
A gluten free recipe.
Today, unlike most of my recipes, no story, no explanations.
Just a recipe, an association of chocolate and salted butter caramel which I furiously desired when I woke up in a shocked Paris on the day following November 13, 2015. I needed smoothness, unctuosity, flavors, to share with my family and my friends.
So here is a little bit of sweetness in a mad world.
Chocolate and Salted Butter Caramel Cake
- 140 gr chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 220 gr sugar
- 140 gr salted butter or unsalted butter and 1 to 2 pinches of salt
FIRST READ THE MAIN STEPS OF THE RECIPE
- Beat eggs and melted chocolate. Prepare caramel, add butter. Mix all together and bake.
- Start by preparing all ingredients as you don’t want to be in a bad position when the caramel is ready. Measure ingredients. Preheat your oven to 160 °C. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Cut butter into small cubes.
- In the bowl of your food processor, break the eggs and beat them at medium speed (for about 5 minutes) until smooth.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel. Heat sugar in a saucepan with 40 ml of water or without any water. As you prefer. When the caramel gets a nice amber color remove from the stove and add immediately the pieces of salted butter. Mix immediately until all butter melts.
- Mix melted chocolate with the eggs, then continue mixing slowly while pouring in the salted butter caramel. Stop when you get a smooth mixture.
- Here several solutions: Pour in a buttered and floured mold (or a silicon mold). Or use individual silicon molds. Depending on the thickness of the chosen mold(s), bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour at 160 °C. Let it rest a few minutes before unmolding.