The idea of this dish is very simple:
- First layer: white fish at the bottom with just salt and pepper. You can use any kind of white fish. Cod, pollack, ling, hake, pike perch … Choose thick fillets and cube it.
- Second layer: vegetables. I suggest carrots and green beans (which can be frozen). You can vary according to your taste. The idea is to have thin slices of vegetables (thus my choice of green beans and of cutting thin carrot strips with a peeler) and also of pre-cooking them (boil or steam) because otherwise the cooking time would be too long for the fish.
- Those two layers are generously covered with coconut milk. Coconut level should go up to the last layer of vegetables but not over otherwise crumble will soak and won’t grill.
- Third layer: a homemade crumble topping made of breadcrumbs (made of leftover bread, grilled bread toasts, crispbread or rusks…) melted salted butter. If your plate is very large and the layers are not thick, you will probably need more crumble than what is given in the recipe, then increase the quantities by respecting proportions.
Fish and Vegetable Crumble Pie with Coconut Milk
- 800 gr white fish ideally cod
- 400 to 500 ml coconut milk
- 2 to 3 carrots large
- 400 gr green beans
- 100 gr breadcrumb
- 70 gr salted butter or butter and 2 pinches of salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Prepare fish pie filling. Peel carrots and cut thin strips length long with a peeler with a sausage.
- Steam or broil green beans and carrot strips (until almost soft, half way only as the will finish cooking in the oven with cod). Drain them.
- Cut fish into cubes of about 4-5 cm wide and place them in the bottom of the dish. Ground over salt and pepper.
- Prepare crumble by mixing the chosen bread into breadcrumbs with a mixer. Melt the butter and combine with breadcrumbs. You should get a somewhat grainy but aerated texture, butter coating breadcrumb (see the above picture of the desired texture). Adjust the quantities according to the size of your dish.
- Cover with a layer of carrots and a layer of green beans, in any order. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour over coconut milk and pack a bit the preparation (see above the advices).
- Catter the crumble topping over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes.
Bon appétit !