Sunday oven-roasted chicken is a tradition in France. Here with a nice twist: on a bed of sweet potatoes instead of potatoes. It gets a bit caramelized. Delicious…
Whether you love roast chicken or sweet potatoes, this recipe is for you. The sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes combined with chicken cooking juices gives a caramelized taste to the whole dish which is absolutely fantastic. And these colors… I love it. Don’ you? In French we say “l’essayer, c’est l’adopter” lit if you try, you’ll adopt this.
Did you know that the sweet potato is a tuber of the bindweed family, therefore it has nothing to do with the potato family. Sweet potatoes contain a high amount of antioxidants, vitamin A and minerals and are also low in calories.
You can prepare as I did with only sweet potatoes and onions, or opt for a mix of half potatoes half sweet potatoes.
Roast chicken is a staple of French home-cooking, often offered for Sunday lunch gathering the whole family. The French either buy it at the butcher or the rôtisserie, they are still warm and gravy is usually delicious, or cook them at home. Just placed in the oven with seasoning, just a bit of oil. In my husband’s family, my mother-in-law likes it with potatoes all around, onion and whole garlic cloves, skin on.
You’ll find another roast chicken recipe on the blog with herb butter under the skin.
Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 chicken 1.5 kg
- 2 large sweet potato
- 3 onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
READ FIRST THE MAIN STEPS OF THE RECIPE
- In an ovenproof dish arrange large slices of sweet potato and onion all around the chicken previously seasonned, drizzle with olive oil, season and roast in the oven.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, add the spices of your choice if wanted. Don’t forget the inside of the chicken.
- Peel onions and sweet potatoes. Cut them into cubes or like large strips. The pieces should be thick because the cooking process is quite long.
- Place the chicken in the center of the dish (ideally breasts against the dish) and arrange the vegetables all around it.
- Sprinkle olive oil over and 2 glasses of water, season with salt and pepper. Combine to moisten vegetables on all sides.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes at 180 °C, regularly basting chicken and vegetables. 30 minutes before the end flip the chicken over so that the top breasts skin grills a little bit.