October. Fennel is about to disappear from the shelves of our favorite markets who respect seasons, and juicy oranges sneak up. It’s the ideal moment to prepare this delicious fresh salad. It’s light and full of vitamins.
Luckily, we can find oranges all year long now and this fresh mixed salad is absolutely lovely. A fancy association of fruits and vegetables, a light dressing with only a little bit ov olive oil and raisins that give a veny nice twist.
This salad is one of my daughters favorite.
Fennel and Orange Salad
- 1 big bulb fennel
- 3 oranges : 2 for the salad and 1 for its juice, you can replace this orange by 2 tablespoons of pure orange juice
- 80 gr raisins if possible a mix of Sultanas, raisins…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- herbs freshly chopped such as mint chives or coriander
- First juice one orange and soak the sultanas in the orange juice (about 2 tablespoons, the Sultanas have to be immerged). Sultanas will become softer by absorbing the orange juice. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare the fennel. Cut off the stalks. Mince in thin slices. Cut the slices in 3 or 4 parts in order to get small pieces.
- Peel and pitch the 2 oranges and then cut them in thin slices. Then cut the slices in 3 or 4 to obtain pieces of oranges and fennel of the same size.
- Prepare the seasoning. Drain the sultanas and drop the orange juice in a bowl. Pour the olive oil in, add salt and pepper, stir. Mince the fresh herbs and add 3/4 of it in.
- Prepare the salad by gently mixing the fennel and orange slices with the sultanas and the seasoning. Dress properly in a presentation dish or in indiVidual plates and drop the rest of the fresh herbs on top.
Bon appétit !